Almost everyone that I know has tried healthy meal kits. I tried one myself, but quickly determined that they weren’t for me. Nevertheless, many people find that they can be a great supplement to regularly grocery shopping. There are a lot of them on the market, though, so it can be tough to find the right one. Price is definitely a factor. It’s important to consider the cheapest healthy meal kits if you want to keep your food budget down.
What Are Healthy Meal Kits?
Meal kits are boxes of groceries delivered to your home to allow you to easily make meals. They typically contain the exact amount of each ingredient that you will need to make one meal. They also include a detailed recipe. The meals are usually quick to make, taking thirty minutes or less.
Benefits of Healthy Meal Kits
These kits can be a great option for people who:
- Like the convenience of pre-chopped, perfectly measured-out ingredients
- Want to get ingredients delivered directly to their home
- Enjoy trying a variety of different recipes
- Want to learn more about cooking in an easy way
- Hate going to the grocery store to get items for one meal
Most of these kits allow you to choose the types of meals that are right for your home. For example, you may be able to choose plans that suit a gluten-free household or a vegan diet.
Drawbacks of Healthy Meal Kits
There were a few reasons that I quickly decided meal kits weren’t for me:
- There’s no convenient delivery spot at my apartment so I always had to be home for deliveries.
- It was costlier than purchasing the individual groceries for myself at the store.
- I don’t particularly like other people picking out my produce for me.
- I don’t love cooking so if I’m getting delivery then I really prefer a prepared meal.
- Many are designed for families of two or more people. I cook for one.
Cheapest Healthy Meal Kits
With that in mind, you may find that healthy meal kits do make sense for your home. Perhaps you’ll use them for most of your meals. On the other hand, you may just get one per week or so to supplement your regularly grocery shopping. Finding the right healthy meal kit requires some investigation.
Well and Good did some investigating for us, ranking kits by a variety of factors including price, prep time, range of dietary options, variety of meal choices, and sustainability practices. You may wish to consider all of those things. However, looking at price only, here are the best healthy meal kits according to that article:
- Dinnerly. At $4.99 per serving, this is the most affordable healthy meal kit on the list. It’s cheaper than most fast food meals!
- Hello Fresh. It only costs $6.99 per serving. Therefore, it’s one of the cheapest available meal kits.
- Blue Apron. This company’s meals cost between $8.99 and $9.99. However, the portions are large, so you’ll likely have leftovers.
- Freshly. You can choose from various plans which range from $8.99 – $12.50 per meal.
- Plated. This plan has an average price of $9.95 – 11.95 per meal.
- Sun Basket. Comparable to Plated, Sun Basket’s meals cost between $9 and $12.
Obviously, Dinnerly and Hello Fresh are the cheapest healthy meal kits. If you’re looking only at price, then you should start with those two options.