Don’t be surprised if you see more consumer goods available on Groupon in the near future at more than 50% off. Today General Mills became the first major consumer product company to test the daily-deal site where they offered 4,500 packages and the deal sold out quickly (it was only available in San Francisco and Minneapolis).
General Mills offered 12 General Mills products for $20.00, a discount of more than 50% off the regular retail price. In addition, the deal included a $15.00 coupon book for General Mills products. The entire package was to be delivered to buyers’ homes and included the following items:
• 12.8 ounce Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal
• 13 ounce Reese’s Puffs cereal
• 12 ounce Kix cereal
• 12.8 ounce Cascadian Farms Organic cereal
• 5.8 ounce Fiber One 90-Calorie Chewy Bars
• 5.8 ounce Hamburger Helper
• 11 ounce Green Giant Corn Niblets
• 9.5 ounce Old El Paso Tortilla Stuffers
• 5 ounce Fruit Roll-Ups
• 10.5 ounce Chex Mix Muddy Buddies snack mix
• 17.5 ounce Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie mix
• 13.7 ounce Wanchai Ferry Orange Chicken dinner kit
So is it a good deal? For those that do not coupon, it certainly is. Not only do you get the food at 50% off, it is delivered directly to your door so there is nothing that you really have to do. For those that coupon, however, it probably isn’t that great of a deal. Even those that don’t extreme coupon, getting food for 50% is fairly easy and you get to buy exactly what you want. There is undoubtedly food in this package that are not regular items on the purchaser’s regular grocery list which wouldn’t be purchased on a normal shopping trip. That being said, I would expect to see many more deals like this on Groupon in the future.